KYB Kago Ya Bana - Let's make ECD happen

AN EARLY START MAKES
ALL THE DIFFERENCE

Unlock

Find out why ECD matters

ECD (Early Childhood Development) is recognised globally as the most critical building block to a successful path through school and life. Yet in South Africa only 20% of children have access to ECD*. The right policies and government funding are in place - but somehow the system is not allowing the funding to flow to the children. KYB unlocks and unblocks the system so that the remaining 80% of our children get the early start they deserve.

*DIAGNOSTIC REVIEW OF ECD, April 2012, Department of Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation, The Presidency

ECD
MATTERS

90% of the human brain is developed before age 5, with much of the foundations being laid down in the first 12 months of life. During early childhood, children continue to expand their repertoire of physical skills, adding to those that were mastered during infancy. Investment in early childhood development is the most powerful investment in human capital that a country can make - with compounding returns.
 

90% of the human brain is developed before age 5

THE FOUR KEY KYB OBJECTIVES

 

Happy boy

MAKING CHILDREN’S FUTURES
AS BRIGHT AS THEIR SMILES

KYB stands for Kago Ya Bana, a SeSotho phrase meaning “working together for children“. In South Africa, children living in the poorest 40% of housholds are only half as likely to benefit from ECD compared to children from the richest 20% of households. To improve the early learning outcomes of these children, we partner with local municipality and the provincial departments of Social Development and Education. We facilitate system change and equip communities and organisations with the skills they need to give children an excellent foundation for future success - while also helping to make the future of our country a little brighter.
 

THE COMPLIANCE
CONUNDRUM

Children have a non-negotiable right to grow and develop in a safe, stimulating environment, and rigid municipal by-laws and regulations are in place to ensure just that. But the compliance journey for ECD sites is an interlinked, multi-step process involving a vast number of requirements and different municipal departments. Understanding and navigating these can be frustrating and difficult for ECD site owners with limited time, capacity and capital to invest in the process. KYB works with municipalities to adjust compliance requirements to match local context to simplify this stressful journey and help practitioners meet the requirements that ultimately lead to DSD registration.

COMPLIANCE

“Without creating enabling compliance regimes within the City of Johannesburg, we may miss the opportunity to improve equality across the city and develop, grow and care for the city’s next generation of leaders and rate payers.”

HELEN NQOBA
Project Manager – ECD Compliance Project in City of Joburg

FAQ

FAQ

 

WHAT DOES ‘COMPLIANCE’ MEAN?

ECD compliance is the adherence to a structured set of guidelines detailing processes to implement established norms and standards, regulations or legislations.

WHY IS COMPLIANCE IMPORTANT?

Compliance ensures proper health and safety measures for children, and adherence and oversight by the government, parents and community. It prescribes training, support and reporting for care and development of children for healthy, sound well-being and improved child outcomes. Compliance with these measures unlocks crucial funding for the provision of the children in the practitioner’s programme from the Department of Social Development.

WHO DETERMINES COMPLIANCE?

The Children’s Act, municipality by-laws and Government policies on Early Childhood Development.

WHAT DETERMINES COMPLIANCE?

In terms of the municipal by-laws, ECD centres are required to establish land use rights and obtain approval from town planning; submit building plans for approval; apply for Emergency Management Service fire safety compliance; and environmental health service conducts assessment to determine number of children the space can accommodate, if physical conditions are satisfactory and if all requirement are met, environmental health issues a health permit and certificate of acceptability if food is prepared within the ECD premises.

WHAT HAPPENS AFTER COMPLIANCE?

ECD Centres that have met the Municipal Compliance requirements above are able to start the registration process with the Department of Social Development (DSD).

Click here to download the processes and requirements for municipal compliance and subsequent DSD registration.

KYB Let's make ECD happen

For more information, contact Nobayeni Dladla
or call 011.351.1551